Monday, November 21, 2011

Special Cake for a Special Guy

Last Saturday we surprised my brother with a party for his 50th birthday. Well, we didn't really surprise him as he knew he was having a party, but the surprise was who would be there!
IMG_2678_edited-1

There was family and lots of friends. I am so jealous because he has kept most of his friends since childhood!!
IMG_2673_edited-1

Since he is my favorite brother (and my only one!!), I decided to make him a special cake!
IMG_2671_edited-1

I started with a basic chocolate cake with chocolate icing
IMG_2663_edited-1

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (used lowfat)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (used Canola)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.   

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.   

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings. 

PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
***********
I had seen on pinterest, this cake made with Kitkat (here's one and another and this is the one that inspired me!)
I had bought a few KitKats, but we saw these cookies (Pirouline) at Costco last Saturday morning and Ben suggested we try decorating with them instead!
IMG_2674_edited-1

They were a bit too long, so Ben cut them a bit and I decorated with some smarties.
IMG_2679_edited-1
Brought the cake to the restaurant and it was a big hit!! Only problem was there wasn't enough cake for everyone :( - I didn't get to taste it - so I guess I will have to make it again!
IMG_2675_edited-1

7 comments:

Margaret said...

What a fun cake! I'm going to have to remember that one! Sorry you didn't even get to taste it. That just goes to show how delicious it must have been. You should definitely make another for yourself! :)

pat said...

Love that cake!! What a fun, fun idea!

Maria said...

What a clever idea! What a cool way to decorate a cake! I bet it was delicious, too!

Tracie said...

Another beautiful creation by you!! I love it !

Maria said...

Celine! Thanks for visiting my blog. Just thought I should mention that Angela is gazing adoringly at her brother! Husband Doug is on her right side. I'm pretty fond of both these guys so I would be happy to look adoringly at them myself, except my sisters-in-law might object.

Nicki said...

Very fun cake - love the siding. The top reminds me of M&M cakes I've done in the past - very festive.

Admin said...

How clever...it looks yummy too!